Curriculum Vitae for Andrew Holland
I am a motivated, hard-working, self-starter with a passion for computing and web technology - programming in particular. Since the age of 14, I have spent a vast amount of my spare time developing programming skills as a keen hobbyist. I have 3 years commercial experience working for three web agencies (Cirrus Connect, Custard Media Solutions & Kudos Web Solutions) and a commercial and leisure vehicle tracking company (Phantom Ltd.).
In 2012 I attended the PHPNW conference as an event co-ordinater, all attendees received a 50% off voucher for the Zend Certification Exams, a short time later I completed the Zend PHP 5.3 certification to become a Zend PHP 5.3 Certified Engineer.
Skills & expertise
- (OO) PHP - 8 years experience, 3 of which commercial
- Ruby - 16 months commercial experience
- Ruby on Rails - 16 months commercial experience
- Node.js - personal projects
- MySQL (including complex data joins, stored functions and procedures) - 8 years experience, 3 of which commercial
- Database normalisation - 6 years experience, 3 of which commercial
- CoffeeScript - 16 months commercial experience
- jQuery - 3 years commercial experience
- HTML 4.01 to W3C standards - 8 years experience, 3 of which commercial
- Slim (template language) - 16 months commercial experience
- CSS 2/3 - 8 years experience, 3 of which commercial
- SASS - 16 months commercial experience
- Windows XP
- Windows 7
- Cent OS
- SVN - 13 months commercial experience
- Google maps API V3
- AQL (SMS integration)
- Postcode Anywhere
- Sublime Text 2
- Penguinet (SSH)
Cirrus Connect (web developer) April 2013 - Present
Cirrus Connect are leadership and brand engagement specialists based in Wilmslow, Cheshire. I was employed by Cirrus after Custard Media Solutions (my previous employer) went into liquidation. Cirrus were a key client for both Custard Media Solutions and Kudos Web Solutions, they employed me (along with other developers from Custard/Kudos) to continue the work they would previously outsource.
Custard Media Solutions (web developer) February 2013 - April 2013
Custard Media Solutions were a full-service web agency based in Horwich, Bolton. I was employed by Custard as a result of a merger between the aforementioned and my previous employer (Kudos Web Solutions).
I worked with a team of 4 back-end developers and 4 front-end developers/web designers, so communication was key.
Kudos Web Solutions (junior web developer) September 2012 - February 2013
Kudos Web Solutions was a small web design/development agency based in Manchester City Centre.
Phantom Ltd (junior web developer) May 2011 - October 2012
Phantom Ltd is a commercial and leisure vehicle tracking company based in Stockport
At Phantom the web development team consisted of myself, the technical director and graphic designer. In my time at Phantom I developed a bespoke CRM system, it featured an AJAX-rich UI, data-visualisation (using Google chart tools), a contractor-dispatch management system using Google maps API V3 and the Haversine formula to calculate the closest contractors to the job. I also developed a CSV-SMS integration for the FA and a web-based fleet-vehicle tracking system. In addition to this I developed a tracking unit emulator using Node.js and the Google maps directions service.
Wren Properties (Labourer) July 2010 - May 2011
My responsibilities in this role included assisting the plumbers, joiner, plasterer and foreman to ensure their jobs were completed efficiently; plying floors, levelling floorboards, hanging radiators and cleaning. Although this work is not linked to IT, I feel that I gained many valuable skills such as teamwork, communication and a good attitude towards work.
Zenos IT Academy 2009-2010
- Advanced Diploma for IT Professionals
- NVQ Level 3 for IT Professionals
- CompTIA A+ Certified Professional
- Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCP implied)
Tameside College 2007-2009
- BTEC National Certificate for IT Practitioners (Software Development) with double grade Pass Pass
- NCFE Level 2 Key Skills in Communication
- NCFE Level 2 Key Skills in Application of Number
Hartshead Sports College 2002-2007
- AQA Business and Communication Systems (Grade C)
- AQA Single Science (Grade C)
- Edexcel Mathematics (Grade C)